C. C. Lowell

Title

C. C. Lowell

Contributor

KRISTEN SCIASCIA

Description

C.C. Lowell was founded in 1852 by Mr. O.C. White who began by selling basic paint and art supplies. Later the business was sold to an employee of Mr. White - the stores namesake - Mr. Charles C. Lowell. In the early 1900's, the store was moved to Pearl Street - where it actually sold gasoline for the new invention called the automobile. In 1957 the business moved to Mechanic Street until 1973.
The store remained in the Lowell family until the 1960's. From 1964 until 1987, C.C. Lowell was owned by different partnerships of 3 to 7 people who had been employees of the original family. The store was then moved to 500 Park Avenue. In 2016 it moved to it’s newest location at 455 Pleasant Street. It is the oldest art supply store in the country.

Files

IMG_0657.jpg
20161219_104004.jpg

Collection

Reference

C. C. Lowell

Cite As

“C. C. Lowell,” Worcester in 50, accessed November 17, 2018, http://worcesterin50.com/items/show/51.

Have a Story to Add to this Object