EL MOROCCO RESTURANT SIGN

Title

EL MOROCCO RESTURANT SIGN

Contributor

PAUL ABOODY

Description

The El Morocco, known to all as simply as “the El,” was one of the first Middle Eastern restaurants in New England. The Aboody family, headed by Paul and Helen, opened the restaurant in 1945 in a three-decker at 73 Wall Street. For decades, the El was at late-night hotspot, the place everyone wanted to be. Locals and celebrities alike - Nat King Cole, the Beach Boys, Al Pacino - came for the food, the live music, the excitement. In 1977, the Aboodys built a bigger place across the street at 100 Wall. After they sold it in 1994, the building soon fell into disrepair. It was torn down last March to make room for an apartment building.

Files

ElMorrocco.jpg
Aboody 2.jpg

Collection

Reference

EL MOROCCO RESTURANT SIGN

Cite As

“EL MOROCCO RESTURANT SIGN,” Worcester in 50, accessed November 17, 2018, http://worcesterin50.com/items/show/30.

Have a Story to Add to this Object