LAKE QUINSIGAMOND AND JOSEPH GARAFALO OAR

Title

LAKE QUINSIGAMOND AND JOSEPH GARAFALO OAR

Contributor

TOM SULLIVAN

Description

From turn-of-the-century White City’s sparkling lights to picnics and soccer games in Lake Park, Lake Quinsigamond has always been a recreational icon for Worcester. Crew racing appeared on the lake in the mid-nineteenth century and Olympic rowers at the 1952 trials a century later. Today, the Donahue Rowing Center hosts area high schools and colleges as well as championship regattas.
From 1947 to 2003 (the year he died) Joseph Garofalo owned and operated the Worcester Oar & Paddle Company on Franklin Street. Joe was well known for building beautiful and competitive wooden rowing shells, as well as highly prized spruce oars. The oar seen here, on loan from Holy Cross, was made by Joe.

Files

unspecified-1.jpg
unspecified-2.jpg
unspecified-1.jpg
unspecified.jpg
unspecified.jpg
IMG_0432 (1).JPG
Lake Quinsigamond 022.jpg
lesrow82566.jpg

Collection

Reference

LAKE QUINSIGAMOND AND JOSEPH GARAFALO OAR

Cite As

“LAKE QUINSIGAMOND AND JOSEPH GARAFALO OAR,” Worcester in 50, accessed November 17, 2018, http://worcesterin50.com/items/show/25.

Have a Story to Add to this Object